Charles Alexander, one of the Black pioneers, initiated and assisted in the building of the original Shady Creek church in Saanich in the 1860’s. He was one of its first lay preachers. The congregation built a new building, completed in 1895 at its current location. The name of the church has changed as the community has grown. It was originally called Saanich Methodist Church then was known as South Saanich United Church. In 1952, the name was again changed to Shady Creek United Church and is now called Central Saanich United Church.