“When it comes to popular narratives about Black people in Canada, our Excellence is underrepresented. From aerospace engineers to political leaders, there is a world of Excellence being paved by Black Canadians. Black in Canada – The New Narrative was created to fill a gap. It exists to shift the collective thinking about who we are and what we contribute to the world.”
AND …. we are also fighting against the denials and mis-perceptions in white Canada of this country’s racist history.
Structural racism at the core of many Canadian institutions …
The United Nations experts that visited Canada in 2017 wrote in their report “The Working Group is deeply concerned about the structural racism that lies at the core of many Canadian institutions and the systemic anti-Black racism that continues to have a negative impact on the human rights situation of African Canadians”
Statistics Canada: Diversity of the Black population in Canada: An overview. Release date: February 27, 2019
“For this portrait, the population refers to persons who self-identified as “Black” in the population group question in the Census of Population. Since the 1996 census, “Black” is one of the population groups listed on the census questionnaire. Here is a brief list of the findings.
- In 2016 close to 1.2 million people in Canada self-identified as Black.
- The Black population was younger than the total population in Canada. The median age for the Black population was 29.6 years, while it was 40.7 years for the total population.
- More than four in ten Black people were born in Canada; we come from more than 170 different places of birth, and more than 200 ethnic or cultural origins.
- A higher percentage of people within the Black population (28%) speak French at home compared to the total population (23.3%).
- Atlantic Provinces: longest history.
- Ontario: largest population.
- Prairie Provinces: fastest growing.
- British Columbia: is growing, but at a slower pace compared to neighbouring provinces.
- Read the full report
- The next census year is 2021.
Narrator, Photo by Anthony Shkraba, Pexels
Construction, Spencer Davis, Unsplash
Project Team, RFSTUDIO, Pexels
Scientists, National Cancer Institute
Restaurant, Paul Efe, Pexels
Female Entrepreneur Andrea Piacquadio, Pexels
Family, Auguste de Richelieu, Pexels