*When Salt Spring was incorporated in Spring 1873, John Craven Jones and Henry W. Robinson were elected to the seven-member council.
*John Craven Jones was the island’s school teacher originally from Oberlin, Ohio.
*Henry William Robinson, originally from Bermuda, served as the council secretary.
*Salt Spring Island remained incorporated for about 10 years. Today the island is an unincorporated rural Electoral District within the Capital Regional District (CRD).