John Craven Jones graduated from Oberlin College in 1856 and taught for two years in a one-room school for Black students in Xenia, Ohio. When he moved to Salt Spring Island in 1859, he pre-empted 100 acres for his home; and with the support of the community, he resumed teaching.
There were 2 schools in rough buildings, hardly more than sheds, 1 in Vesuvius and 1 in Fernwood.
In total John had 25 students. In 1869 when public funding began, Jones’ salary was $40.00 per month.