Deas Cannery employs 25 people

John Sullivan Deas took over the salmon canning business that had been started by Edward Stamp and pre-empted the land between Delta and Richmond that now bears his name. The British Colonist newspaper reported on July 25, 1872, “At the Fishery which is carried on by Mr. Deas some 300 cases of canned salmon were already put up, four boats were constantly at work, the number of men employed is about 25.

several wooden buildings of various sizes and heights at docks on a river bank
The cannery was a substantial enterprise that included 3 buildings surrounded by a dyke, which enclosed about seven acres, together with smaller buildings, a wharf and sheds. At least one of the smaller buildings included a bunkhouse for living quarters. Image Courtesy of Royal BC Museum and Archives