The British Columbia Black History Awareness Society (BCBHAS), a non-profit society, was formed in February, 1994, to continue the work started by the British Columbia Black History Awareness Committee, namely celebrating the achievements of Black people in British Columbia (BC) as part of Black History Month. The Society expanded it's objectives to include creating an awareness of the history of Black pioneers in BC, stimulating interest in the study of the contributions of persons of African ancestry to BC and Canada, and celebrating the historical achievements of Black people in the arts, education, government, sports, science, etc., in BC and Canada.
The Society's mandate is to:
- Educate, disseminate, and support Black British Columbians' achievements past, present, and future.
- Bring together diverse groups of people who have an interest in promoting, educating, and learning about BC and Canadian Black history.
- Promote diversity in BC social, economic, and political spectrums.
- Encourage youth and children to develop an interest in the achievements of Black people in BC and Canada as well as developing an interest in their community and the world.
What can the BCBHAS do for you?
- Provide a sense of community for people with an interest in BC Black History and Black history in general.
- Provide a means for creating new friendships, especially for those new to Vancouver Island.
- Provide social and educational activities for families and individuals.
- Develop or gain skills in public/community relations, communications, event management, non-profit operations, and administration.
Your membership is welcome. Click here for more information.
What can you do for the BCBHAS?
- Support BCBHAS events and activities.
- Share this website.
- Contribute your talents, skills, and ideas to our committees and at general meetings.
- Donate to the Society.
Board of Directors:
- President: Silvia Mangue Alene
- Vice President: Karen Hoshal
- Secretary: Fran Morrison
- Treasurer: Beth Cruise
- Directors at Large: Annie Djiotsa, Valin Marshall, Ron Nicholson, Gary Withers
- Past President: Mavis DeGirolamo