Charles Alexander, one of the Black pioneers, initiated and assisted in the building of the original Shady Creek church in Saanich in the 1860’s. He was one of its first lay preachers. The congregation built a new building, completed in 1895 at its current location. The name of the church has changed as the community has grown. It was originally called Saanich Methodist Church then was known as South Saanich United Church. In 1952, the name was again changed to Shady Creek United Church and is now called Central Saanich United Church.
You may also like
Bart Armstrong, Military Research Specialist. He served in 3 regiments of the Canadian Armed Forces Reserves; after 17 years service, he retired […]
The BC Association for the Advancement of Coloured People (BCAACP) was founded on March 1,1958 to support people facing discrimination in education, […]
On April 6, 2020, 26-year-old D’Andre Campbell of Brampton, Ontario called 911 for help. Within minutes of their arrival at his home, […]
James Douglas was born in Guyana in 1803. His father was Scottish and his mother was “free coloured.” Douglas was Chief Factor […]